REQUIREMENTS AND REGULATIONS FOR STANDARD CLASS MGF
Specifications for engine, fuel systems, exhausts, transmissions, wheels&tyres, chassis & body work, interior and exterior trim, electrical and braking systems are covered in this section.
- The standard type of engine, with the same specification as fitted to the car as new during the particular model's lifetime must be retained in its original position.
- Engine mounts must be of the original dimensions and materials.
- No modifications outside balancing are allowed, e.g. standard camshaft, standard capacity (+60 thou), standard valves, seat dimensions and lift.
- Gas flowing is prohibited. (Cleaning of the head is limited to bead blasting.)
1.2 Injection & Fuel System
- Unmodified standard fuel injectors and inlet manifold for each model must be used.
- Choice of air filter is free.
- Super-chargers are prohibited except where fitted as standard specification for a model type, when they may be used with standard settings only. [so this applies to the MGF Supersports, should Rover/MG ever get around to releasing it]
- Pump fuel must be used.
- Tubular exhaust manifolds are permitted along with any road legal silencer.
- Vehicles fitted with catalytic converters part of their standard specification must retain these units in standard form and functioning to specification.
- Standard gearbox, transmission and rear axle must be used.
- Limited slip or torque biasing differentials are prohibited.
- The standard fixing points and method of operation must be retained for the suspension.
- All bushes must be of the original materials, additional brackets or adjustable suspension is prohibited, except where it was fitted as standard.
- Spring and damper ratings are free.
- Anti-roll bars may be increased by one size only.
- All other components must be as standard equipment.
- Minimum ground clearance of vehicle bodywork, 5 inches.
1.6 Wheels & Tyres
- Standard wheels as fitted to the car as its standard specification at some time in that models production lifetime, must be used.
- Only standard road legal tyres published in list 1A of the MSA year book are permitted.
- Tyres that have previously been on list 1A will be permitted at the discretion of the championship scrutineer. Special soft compound and reduced tread competition tyres, including special compound competition remoulds, are prohibited.
- All tyres must be clearly identifiable, the removal of information from the side wall will render a tyre illegal.
1.7 Chassis & Bodywork
- Aluminium or GRP panels are not permitted for the MGF.
- No other modifications to the chassis or bodywork are permitted: they must be of the same construction and materials to that used for routine production vehicles of each model type, during their production life span.
- Spoilers are permitted- for the definition of a spoiler see the MSA Year Book. Aerofoils are prohibited.
1.8 Exterior Trim
- All exterior trim and fittings must be retained.
1.9 Interior Trim
- The drivers seat and steering wheel only may be changed. Driver's footwell carpet may be removed. All other interior trim must be retained.
1.10 Cooling System
- The standard cooling system, including heater, must be retained.
- Radiators must be of the standard type and construction.
- Electric fans and supplementary oil coolers are permitted.
1.11 Electrical System
- The standard electrical system and circuitry must be retained and be fully functioning as per original vehicle specification. [I presume this clause excludes alternative engine management chips.]
- Sports coils are allowed. Distributor cap and leads are free.
1.12 Brake Systems
- Standard brakes must be used, linings and pads are free.
- Drilled and ventilated discs are not permitted, except where fitted as standard equipment.
ALL CARS MUST HOLD A CURRENT MOT TEST PAST CERTIFICATE
(This must be available for examination at any time).